[Sca-cooks] "blue" blackberry sauce?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Feb 25 09:44:39 PST 2008

I think it varies and it might be the berry at hand.

Parzen translates Martino as  Take some wild mulberries that grow in
thickets

Riley translates it as   Take the wild berries that grow on brambles

Millham translates it as Mix pounded blackberries

The Epulario from 1598 which publishes the recipe as

To make a skie colour sauce in summer.

Take wild mulberries which grow in the hedges, and a few stamped Almonds
with a little Ginger, temper all this with Verjuice and straine it.

2 for mulberries and 1 for blackberries and 1 for wild berries...

How many other versions of this same recipes appear in various editions
of Platina and Martino?
There are printed Platina's in a number of other languages.

Johnna