[Sca-cooks] New Zealand

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Mon Feb 25 11:57:36 PST 2008

Stefan li Rous wrote:

>Antonia Calvo commented:
>
>The last feast I did I had $20 per adult and spent it all, but we had
>chicken, veal, lamb, fresh tuna, sirloin, prosciutto, gourmet cheeses,
>peaches, melons, grapes, cherries, four kinds of salad, <snip!>
>
>Wow. I want to come to New Zealand for one of your feasts. :-)  Too
>bad the airline ticket would be so pricey. The same goes with
>visiting Lochac.

Southron Gaard, has, I think, a pretty high reputation for food, and
Terese and I can probably take at least a little credit for it :-)

If I can do just a tiny bit of boasting, the feast was at an encampment
in early February, but it was sold out by late November :-)

>I assume that the lamb was locally grown, which would probably make
>it cheaper. Lamb is rather expensive in Ansteorra, when you can find
>it. Fresh tuna, sirloin, prosciutto!, gourmet cheeses.

All the meats were locally grown, including the prosciutto.  The
surprise hit of the evening was actually the tuna, which was inhaled in
about two minutes flat.

>What were the four kinds of salad that you served? With all the
>carnivores here in Ansteorra though, I'm not sure how well that would
>go over.

The salads were fennel, roast carrot, lettuce, and mixed greens.  Ah,
wait a minute... five salads-- there was also cucumber. The fennel was
probably the most popular, followed by the carrot.

In general, I tend to think that most people love meat, but a meal is
more enjoyable if you serve a range of tastes and textures.

>Or do you have a feast report of this last feast? I've put a number
>of those that have been posted here in the Florilegium and think
>there are those that would be interested in hearing more about this
>feast, especially since it is in a far off region. The same goes with
>the SCA there. I wonder if it comes closer to Lochac or it's home
>kingdom (Caid?).

I don't have a report per se, but I've posted a preliminary set of notes
at http://peerlesskitchen.livejournal.com.

 From what I've heard, we're a lot more like the rest of Lochac than
like Caid.  I haven't been to continental Caid, so I personally don't
have much basis for comparison :-)

Here's the menu from the feast-- all recipes were sourced from Platina's
"On Right Pleasure and Good Health"

First Course

Fennel Salad
Seasoned Salad