[Sca-cooks] OOP Pizza Dough

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 4 13:11:31 PST 2008

As an experiment, I made some pizza dough last night using semolina flour,
which the bag touts as being good for pasta, pizza and bread.  Right.  Pasta
and semolina bread maybe.

I used about a 2:1 mix of semolina to AP flour and had to increase the
liquid in the dough by about a half cup to get the dough to mix properly

Semolina (0 fine), while very high in protein, is too grainy to produce a
nice texture to the dough and the flavor doesn't mesh well with the olive
oil in the dough.  I might be able to alter the texture by using 00 fine or
by using a 1:4 mix of semolina 0 to AP flour.  The taste is another matter.
I'm wondering if butter or egg yolk might prove to be a better choice.

I'll revisit this experiment again, but for now, I think I'll stick to
regular flour for my pizza dough.

Bear