[Sca-cooks] bread machines

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 14 14:57:39 PST 2008

I'm interested in this discussion -- and eagerly awaiting follow-ups
with recipes -- because i recently got a used bread machine from
FreeCycle (without its helpful book, however -- i need to check
on-line).

I'm not a big bread eater (unless it has nuts, or olives, or cheese
in it, and a hard crunchy crust), but i'd like to learn more about
making bread and i've got no one to guide me.

I had thought that a local bread maker had offered to help me -- i
think of learning bread making as a very *hands on* experience, so
one can get some idea of the texture of a properly kneaded dough. But
when i recently asked about getting together to make bread, they said
they'd give me a recipe to do on my own. Well, i'm sure i can find
recipes on my own, and i'm willing to try most things on my own, but
i really wanted some guidance with bread dough and the kneading
process.

Also, i've got arthritis beginning in my hands. Right now it's mostly
in my thumbs where they connect to my hands, but it's also developing
in the joints of my pointer fingers. So a free bread machine can
knead the dough more comfortably than i can.

I don't want to try it in my antique Cuisinart even though it has a
plastic blade for dough. I really don't want to burn out the poor
thing, as i need it for feasts. And i've got a few things in my
expenses queue ahead of a KitchenAide, which i may get around to much
later this year...

So i've been following this thread with some interest.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing