[Sca-cooks] Feast costs/budgets

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 17:25:21 PST 2008

Mykael> On another but related topic. The first feast I did on my own
I had done all
> the research, planning and most of the purchasing (using up most of the
> budget) when I was informed, the weekend before the event, that I was also expected
> to prepare breakfast for Saturday and Sunday, all out of the same budget. When
> I questioned this I was informed that it was a standard expectation in our
> Kingdom (Meridies).

While that might be so for your specific area of Meridies, I can
assure you that it is not so for all other areas. I have cooked for my
own Barony (South Downs) as well as Owl's Nest, Sol Haven, Bryn Madoc
and am slated to cook this years Heroes & Heroines for Forth Castle -
all of them have different methods of constructing their budgets. What
is the most important is to have a comprehensive discussion when you
are asked to be on the bid, hammer out exactly what their expectations
are of you.

And while breakfasts are pretty standard for most events, who prepares
them and where the money comes from is something that varies from
group to group, and at times Autocrat to Autocrat. Now you know to ask
the question, even if it was a hard lesson.

Helen>and the Royal Luncheon is a separate line item in the budget,
usually about 40 to 50 dollars, depending on who is Royal at the time,
and their dietary needs.

Unfortunately this tradition is now specifically against the law per
corporate finanacial policy. Tis a shame, but I guess they have their
reasons.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva