[Sca-cooks] Late Italian feast

Kerri Martinsen kerrimart at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 20 10:44:50 PST 2008

Sorry for the missing information:

I will have 13 tables of 8 for the feast.  I'm planning on cooking for 120
just to be safe.
The 2 chicken preperations was an idea which I might toss out.  The reason
for it is that the lemon sauce is an almond thickened sauce and I was
looking for an alternative for nut allergies.

We have a fairly extensive spice collection with the barony that I'll be
able to use.

Speaking of spices, the 2 chicken recipes call for "good spices" and "mild
spices" (recipes below).  Suggestions?  (Both come from Neapolitan)

*Lemon Sauce for Chickens or Capons*

Get one or more chickens, capons or cockerels that have been cooked a little
in water; take them out of the water and mount them on a spit; then get
peeled, well ground almonds and temper them with the bouillon of the
chickens; then get lemon juice and mix it all together with good spices;  and
put it into a saucepan to cook a little; then pour it over the roasts with a
little fat;  serve it very hot.

for the Lemon I'm thinking thyme, pepper & oregano.

*Catalan Style Partridge (Neapolitan #61)*
Get the partridge and roast it; when it is cooked, take it down from the
spit and slice the wings off at the breast, and into those cuts put the
following sauce:  get pomegranate juice or verjuice, salt, ground gloves and
mild spices, and put this into the cuts while the partridge is hot;  and
note that the partridge should not be overcooked.

I'm not sure what works well with pomegranate - it isn't something I
normally cook with. (I'm a german vinegar girl personally)

Thanks!

Vitha