[Sca-cooks] OT sort of

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 22 04:30:41 PST 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 4:11 AM, Nambeanntan at aol.com wrote:

> I thought I'd pass this along in case anyone here is looking for a
> change.
> The recipe is not from a pre 1600 source, but its cheap, easy  and
> received
> raves until folks found out what navets were.

See, now, to me, that's the definition of stupid. Not you, just that
whole, people like it until they figure out what they're eating, thing.

However <abruptly changing subject with the deftness of a... uh...
deft thing> yes, creme de navettes is a nice way of serving them to
persons of... erm... narrow dietary scope. I had to think a moment
about why this would be a potage, but I guess it's the bread
thickening. (Usually potages are characterized by rough-cut vegetables
in a sort of rustic presentation, as opposed to cremes, which are
smoothish, but not usually containing bread.)

Anyway, yum!

One of the later English sources, somebody like John Murrell (I think
it's one of the volumes of The Good House-Wives Jewell) has some
recipe or other calling for nauons, and it took me a while to figure
out: "Oooooh, nauons are navons, which are presumably related to
navettes, so we're talking about some kind of turnip. Noooowwww I get
it..."

Adamantius