[Sca-cooks] One Handed Cooking

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:14:41 PST 2008

> I will be having my wrist reconstructed at the begining
>of April which will call for me to be in a cast for at least
>6 weeks.

Ouch. Get well soon.

>I got one of those new Reynolds suck-the-air-out freezer
>bag systems

I've been interested in those but won't give up my first love
of my Seal-A-Meal.

> I have a question - I will be freezing a number of FCB
>(flattened chicken breast) dishes like chicken marsala
>and wondered if it would be better to freeze the sauce
>separate from the chicken. Any thoughts?

I usually freeze it all together. The advantage is that the sauce
slowly marinates into the food so you get the flavor. Look at
all of the frozen food at the grocery store. Basically it is the
same thing.
I've never had any ill consequences of freezing chicken and sauce
together. Especially if all of the air is sucked out of the bag.
> Also, if you have any advice for me on one-handed kitchen
>techniques I would appreciate it.
Hmmmm...learn the one handed saute' which any cook picks up
anyway. Get a Cuisinart with various cutting blades for slicing.
If you are whipping or doing vigorous stirring of anything you
might get a large bowl and put in a towel then put in the
bowl of stuff to be stirred. That way you just need to put the
cast on the rim to secure the bowl a little while you whip.
Learn one-handed egg breaking.

Will the cast be on your strong or weak hand?

> Renata
Gunthar