[Sca-cooks] Current farm prices and affects on feast budgeting

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 05:13:48 PST 2008

I hear you!  The only feast I've cooked for the past 3 years has been the
Middle Eastern feast.  I do find, as Bear mentioned in a snipped part, that
I tire out much easier now than I did some 25 years ago or so (I started
late...I guess I was in my late 30's).  But somehow it all seems worthwhile
when I hear that they're talking about the feast on the Middle Eastern
list!!

I have gone through a time when I had problems getting the money I needed
for the feast...there seemed to be a disconnect especially when it came to
the mezze/side board that was available to everyone all day.  Our group
refuses to understand the concept of "no off-board places" which meant that
I had to find funding in what they gave me per person for on-board to cover
the dayboard for another 50 - 75 people!  That was what I did the first
year...and got severely chastised by the then B&B and Seneschale for not
making a profit!  Then last year, they agreed to pay $1/head for those who
were off-board, but I never got the money because they couldn't figure out a
way to enter the amount in the financial report they had to turn into the
Kingdom.  This meant that, not only was there no profit, a fair amount of
money came out of my pocket!!  We're trying again this year.  They found a
place to include it in the report, and have guaranteed me that there will be
funding for the offboard people in the budget.  We'll see.  I've already
told them that this is the last year I'll cook this event if this doesn't
happen.  I suspect someone else could do the job if needed...but I do know
'cause I've been told, that there are some people who come to the event just
for the food!

And...I also go out into the hall after I'm done...not only to relax and
visit with friends whom I have seen all day, but to hear commentary on the
feast.  I think my favorite Atlantian tradition is when the ruling nobles
call the cooks out to thank them...and we usually get a standing ovation!
That feels good!!!  And yes, I am a ham...I also do theatre work, so this is
very meaningful to me.

Kiri