[Sca-cooks] Current farm prices and affects on feast budgeting

euriol euriol at ptd.net
Thu Feb 21 07:01:40 PST 2008

I also think that the costs of attending an event are more than a lot of us
take into consideration. Yes, if you're local to the event site, the event
& feast costs are far cheaper than attending a movie or going to a modestly
priced restaurant. But if you're not local, you have to consider the cost
of gas (if the event is 150 miles away, that would be about $50 for me in
gas) and the potential cost of lodging (not all events have sleeping
space). When you take those costs into consideration, attending a non-local
event can be quite expensive.

In my barony, we take 50 cents off each paid feast seat to take care of the
comps and discounted feast seats (children). For example, If I cook for 80
people and the feast ticket is $8 for an adult, my budget is $7.50 per head
($600). Although I try to keep my costs reduced and under budget, I do not
necessarily look for making a profit either. If lunch is included as part
of the site fee (which seems fairly standard in AEthelmearc), I ask for
$1.50 per head of the site fee and estimated attendance.

Euriol