[Sca-cooks] A question pardon if it has been asked

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 18 12:51:51 PST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Michael Gunter wrote:

>> So would it not be a logical thought that other stuff may have >
>> been presented this way?
> Well, the first thing that comes to mind are the lobster rolls.
> To make Lobster-Loaves. PICK out all the Meat of three little
> Lobsters shred it a little; take a piece of Butter, and brown it
> with Flour in a Sauce-pan: the stir in a very little Onion and
> Parsley shred very fine, and put in a little Pepper, a Spoonful of
> Anchovy Liquor, three or four Spoonfuls of good Gravy, three Yolks
> of Eggs well beat; stir all these over the Fire in the brown Butter,
> then put in the Lobster, and stir it a little together: Take three
> French Rolls, and cut a round Piece off the top of each, and pick
> out the Crumb, but do not Break Holes through the Sides of the
> Bread; fill up the Roll with the Mixture you have prepared; put on
> the Piece of Top you cut off, close and tie them round with a Piece
> of Tape: Make some Dripping boiling hot in your Frying-pan; and when
> you have just dipt the Roll in Milk, throw it in to the Pan-full of
> scalding Liquor: When they are crisp, take them out, and take off
> the Tape: Be sure to put in three times as much Parsly as Onion
> . Thus you may do Shrimp or Oyster-Loaves. http://tudorcook.blogspot.com/

Wastels yfarced come to mind, too, but as I recall they're boiled in a
cloth, essentially an early boiled pudding. Probably more medieval
than some of the Tudor stuff.

Surely there are examples of using bread as a container, and I
wouldn't dream of suggesting it wasn't done in period or shouldn't
ever be done now. I'm just a little... concerned about the notion that
something is somehow more period when placed in a bread bowl, or even
more cool, all other things being equal.

>> Please forgive any ignorance I may show but I am quite curious and
>> like

We're all ignorant. That's why we're here! ;-)

>> > I said I think to much for my own good. I have been meaning to
>> ask but I > fear to offend or start a um a heated discussion.

Heated discussions are good for you! There's a difference between a
crass argument and a good, lively debate. Honestly, now, have people
been behaving badly on this list, so far as you've seen, or have they
simply disagreed occasionally? I wake up every morning expecting to be
disagreed with: there's maybe 300 or so people on this list, mostly
quite intelligent, articulate people -- for anything you or I may say,
what are the odds there _won't_ be someone respectfully disagreeing
with it? Now, this may give rise to the occasional heated (I prefer
the term "spirited") discussion, but it's extremely rare that anything
like offense is either given or taken.

> Asking questions and delving deeper into answers is never something
> to apologize for. Especially here.

What Gunthar said. It's the questions that don't get asked that are
the cause of much of the trouble in the world.

Adamantius