[Sca-cooks] A question pardon if it has been asked

Margaret Rendell m_rendell at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jan 18 13:43:55 PST 2008

Ron Carnegie wrote:
>    My cooking experience is more 18th century than pre 17th century.  So to 
> is my technical knowledge of period terms for textiles.  Sometimes it 
> applies, sometimed it does not.  In the 18th century however, tape is a long 
> thin peice of cloth, like a ribbon.  The term still survives today as "bias 
> tape".  Bureacratic "red tape" is supposed to come from the same textile. 

I was surprised and delighted, on going into a stationer's with an 
extensive range, to find that red tape is still used for binding up 
official documents - and you could buy it by the roll.

Krae Glas, Lochac/Melbourne, Australia

More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list