[Sca-cooks] A question pardon if it has been asked

Ron Carnegie r.carnegie at verizon.net
Fri Jan 18 12:53:36 PST 2008

   My cooking experience is more 18th century than pre 17th century.  So to
is my technical knowledge of period terms for textiles.  Sometimes it
applies, sometimed it does not.  In the 18th century however, tape is a long
thin peice of cloth, like a ribbon.  The term still survives today as "bias
tape".  Bureacratic "red tape" is supposed to come from the same textile.
Your receipt certainly seems to be applying to the same thing, since it
mentions tying it around the rolls. String ought to work just as well.

    It is not clear to me if the receipt is calling for deep frying or pan
frying.  I suspect pan frying, I suspect deep frying would be better though.

Ranald de Balinhard