[Sca-cooks] HI

Robert Evans honeymonkey78 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 06:33:22 PST 2008

well in the case of a primitive site my house has a rather large population of campers and we have most anything from gas stove tops to multiple camp ovens. i have even used just a campfire and a dutch-oven. and feed 13 people at border raides(its a small weekend war) so i like a challenge.
  in Italian food your pastas and sauces are always good in my kitchen but you can't really cook for 150-200 guests in one day that many Menotti ya know? the crusted chicken, a whole bird w/ the a crumb filling in between the skin and the meat, bake.
  as to your first question, the different is tastes is the secret, you have to worry about over spiceing, just as in every dish. but when you are cooking out of one country or cultuer the temptation to repeat a spice more than twice of three times, you start getting repetive. and then it happens you have an all cinnomon feast. so thats how i would avoid that situation.
  thanks for all the links. everyone has been really helpful in responding to my pleas of HELP
  Klaus

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
  Kluas commented:

<<< thank you for the greeting. and i try not to be a lurker.>>>

Welcome to the SCA-Cooks list!

<<< I'm cooking for an event in oct'08, and i have cooked feasts
before and well I'm having some problems with cooking the same feast
over and over. also i am not a boil-a-bag style of cook. fresh is
better, for me. and if you do boil-a-bag good on you. its just not
for me.>>>

Well yes, fresh is often better, although there are some foods which
are better after they've sat for a while. The reason boil-in-bags are
often used is because of lack of kitchen facilities. It may be
different in Meriedies, I've heard you all often have *cabins* to
sleep in, but sometimes in Ansteorra and elsewhere there are little
or nothing in the way of kitchen facilities.

How would you handle an outside feast on a primative site with no
cooking equipment except what you brought along?

In case you ever do find yourself in that situation, grills and boil-
in-bags are often the way to go. Here is some commentary, much of it
from this list, on what has and has not worked for people before.
bag-cooking-msg (46K) 9/ 8/07 Using plastic bags to warm pre-
cooked foods
at SCA events.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/bag-cooking-msg.html

<<< i feel i need some inspiration that's why I've joined this list.
I've done french, German English Spain and my fav Italian. each have
their own challenge. >>>

How do you seen the challenges being different between each of these
cuisines? What was your favorite Italian dish or feast?

<<< also any one know a good subtlety? >>>

When you say "subtlety" are you speaking of items that are totally
edible? Foods that look like one food but are actually made of
another? Or foods that often made of things that are non-edible
items? Here are some Florilegium files from each of those
categories. There are more in the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section:
ill-fd-feast-art (10K) 12/ 8/97 A feast consisting of illusion
foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/ill-fd-feast-art.html
illusion-fds-msg (142K) 11/ 7/04 Medieval illusion foods.
Disguised food.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/illusion-fds-msg.html
Warners-art (32K) 6/29/98 An article on disguised food.
by Alizaunde, Demoiselle de
Bregeuf.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Warners-art.html
cak-soteltes-msg (56K) 9/21/06 Cake based sotelties. Decorated
cakes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/cak-soteltes-msg.html
Chastlete-art (18K) 4/ 4/02 "Chastlete, a Pastry Castle" by Lady
Constance de LaRose.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Chastlete-art.html
sotelties-msg (201K) 3/29/05 Sotelties and Warners - decorated
food.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sotelties-msg.html
sotelte-tols-msg (26K) 7/22/06 Useful tools for creating sotelties.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sotelte-tols-msg.html

<<< i am also feilding questions about my e-mail address, so let'em
rip. lets ansewer som FAQ. honey is ok,and no i'm not hairy like a
monkey.>>>

I don't think I have anything on monkeys, but perhaps this file might
be of interest. :-)
honey-msg (14K) 7/12/06 Period use of honey. Honey sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/honey-msg.html

Stefan
Err, yes, That Stefan. :-)
--------