[Sca-cooks] White Pizza- OOP

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 06:15:13 PST 2008

I never even heard of white pizza until a few years ago.  My daughter spoke fondly of white lasagna recently, but I had never even considered such a thing.  I expect these may be Americanized adaptations, but I don't KNOW that, I just suspect it.

After learning about the idea of white pizza, though, I started experimenting on my own.  I have almost always made my own pizza crust and the adaptation already provided by Bear has given me pause to consider.

The crust at my house is just sourdough bread dough rolled thin.  Everything that goes on top of my pizza is already cooked if needs be, I bake the crust for about 10 min. This means we will have a crispy crust,

For the pizza sauce, I mix up a flour salt and milk base, add lots of parma and regiano cheese (no I don't grate my own, I get it in little plastic tubs from the deli ... so there). We are heavy on garlic at my house, so I probably add too much to the sauce.  I usually throw in whatever herbs inspire me at the time, which may include but is not limited to parsley, chives, chive flowers when I can get them, oregano, savory, marjoram, sage, rosemary, herbs de Provenance, thyme, or whatever.  Herbs at my house rarely come from bottles.  I generally grow my own or, when my own is down to the minimum that will grow when the weather gets warm enough to put them back outside, I have purchased fresh herbs from the produce department at the grocery store.

Toppings include chicken, sliced scallions (green onions), slices of elephant garlic, red bell pepper bits, mushrooms, shredded carrots (hey it is a white pizza... it is already on the edge) and mozzarella cheese.  We used provolone once ... didn't like the flavor so we never used it again.

Put it in the oven about 8 inches from the broiler if possible.  Broil slowly until the cheese gets all melty and tan-ish.

I don't have a baking stone anymore (long story, very sad), but replacing it is high on my priority list.

Things I had not considered but now may have to try ... Italian sausage and capers.

Things I had not thought of until recently inspired by this list ... caramelize the onions, peppers and garlic ahead of time.

Something that sounded weird at the time but that I am thinking about trying ... grill the pizza.

OOO ... I think we are having white pizza for dinner.

Cheers

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

Never knock on Death's door. Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that