[Sca-cooks] White Pizza- OOP

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 27 13:50:49 PST 2008

> Bear, you gotta meet this guy known in the pizza world as the "Dough
> Doctor", Tom Lehmann.  Quite the dough master of renown.
>
> Butter in large batches of pizza dough can be challenging to manage if
> replacing all of the liquid oils.  When you are making 50lb flour batches,
> most people don't want to have to fiddle with the math of butter which is
> about 80% fat and 20% water.  Figure the extra weight of butter and water
> reduction amount.  We aren't even discussing cost here, though.  There is
> also a browning issue that sometimes has to be balanced when adding the
> dairy.  It can be done, but most we talk with seem to stick with olive oil
> if added fat is desired.
>
> pecem et pizza,
> niccolo difrancesco

I wouldn't try to replace oil with butter in a large batch of dough, but
small batches of dough tend to be more forgiving of variations in
ingredients, which is why I think substituting the equivalent amount of
butter for olive oil would likely work, especially when you consider that
the oil content of pizza dough varies between one and three ounces of oil
per pound of dough depending on recipe.

In commercial quantities, oil is less expensive than butter and easier to
work with, as you point out.  In the case of the "buttery" commercial pizza
dough, I'd bet they're cutting costs by using an imitation butter-flavored
vegetable oil rather than olive oil.

Bear