[Sca-cooks] White Pizza- OOP

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 27 08:56:30 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----
A "buttery" crust makes me suspect some veddy bogus ingredients, however,
you might try modifying the dough.

< < < < SNIP> > > >

I've never tried this, but replacing what would normally be olive oil with
butter, then buttering the top off the dough should produce a "buttery"
taste, but it might not match to whatever ingredients are being used in the
commercial pizza dough.

Bear > > > > > > > >

Bear, you gotta meet this guy known in the pizza world as the "Dough
Doctor", Tom Lehmann.  Quite the dough master of renown.

Butter in large batches of pizza dough can be challenging to manage if
replacing all of the liquid oils.  When you are making 50lb flour batches,
most people don't want to have to fiddle with the math of butter which is
about 80% fat and 20% water.  Figure the extra weight of butter and water
reduction amount.  We aren't even discussing cost here, though.  There is
also a browning issue that sometimes has to be balanced when adding the
dairy.  It can be done, but most we talk with seem to stick with olive oil
if added fat is desired.

pecem et pizza,
niccolo difrancesco