[Sca-cooks] spice storage

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 30 19:05:39 PST 2008

Dragon mentioned:
<<< Indian markets are a great place for many spices and some unusual
items can also be had at Asian markets.

It pays to do your shopping at these places when you can. As an
example, $20 will buy me a huge shopping bag full of stuff at the
Indian market, some of which I can't get anywhere else. Even for the
ones I can, I might have gotten three or four small jars of spices
for the same price at a supermarket or gourmet store for the lesser
priced items. >>>

Yes, such as big bags of cloves for the price of a single jar of them
from the grocery.

However, most of the spices I've seen in the ethnic stores tend to
come in plastic bags. Not the best way to store them for any length
of time. So try to move them to better storage containers and keep
them out of the heat and sunlight.

This file has some of the previous discussions from this group on this.

spice-storage-msg (42K)  4/14/07    Period and modern spice storage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/spice-storage-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas