[Sca-cooks] Basting spit roasted meat

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:41:56 PST 2008

Checking my notes, I already had Markham's instructions and
was looking for more.  So far, his is the only book I've been
able to find any instructions for basting beef on a spit.

And I checked the historic food website and it does indeed
state to baste with butter. The recipe used is rather late
but no worse than Digby.

Still, no mention of wine in any recipe so far. This kind of
surprises me as I figured many meats were basted in wine
of some form and probably dredged in herbs.

Right now all I've found is to bake beef well salted. (Roman times)
Baste in verjuis, vinegar, water or butter.

The most common method seems to be parboiling the meat then
slicing into steaks.

I'm still looking.

Gunthar