[Sca-cooks] Problems with sausage

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 7 10:34:36 PST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 1:17 PM, Nick Sasso wrote:

> Fat PLUS gelatin (soluablized callogen tissue) is far superior in
> mouthfeel
> and tenderness than fat alone.  As Master A mentioned, liquid fat
> just melts
> and runs away . ..  the other tissue will help hold moisture and
> velvety
> feel.

What he said. I had intended to mention that connective tissue of the
right sort (collagen, the translucent stuff like you get in pork skin
and pig's feet, etc., GOOD, nasty white fibrous elastin and plain old
abject cartilage, BAD) was a bog contributor to mouth feel.

Gunthar, the typical modern fat-to-lean-meat ratio for sausage is
anywhere from 10-15% (10% for "lite" sausages which may well have
fillers added) up to as much as 35%. 35% is probably too much, but
some of the really cheap bulk sausage meat, made from trimmings, can
be that way. Unfortunately, when you cook it, it's like you've got
nothing left to show for your efforts.

20-25% is pretty common, and should do the job for you.

Adamantius