[Sca-cooks] Coffyn pan?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jan 15 13:05:28 PST 2008

I don't know that all coffyns would have been baked in forms or pans.
If one uses a sturdy pastry made with lard and enough flour, you can raise
 pastry case that is strong enough to survive without the need of a pan.
(This is pastry as container.)

Take a look at the Tudor Cooks Blog-- there's a video there plus pictures

http://tudorcook.blogspot.com/2007/12/get-back-in-that-kitchen.html

Also you might run through Ivan Day's photos and recipes for his various
pies and pastries.

http://www.historicfood.com/Pie%20recipe.htm

He has listed a new course in pastry and pie making.
http://www.historicfood.com/Pie%20Making%20Course.htm

Johnnae