[Sca-cooks] Coffyn pan?

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Thu Jan 17 14:47:46 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 6:53 AM, Nancy Kiel wrote:

> I always assumed these types of pies were made without pans, using
> a thick stand-alone crust (sometimes made with rye flour) that was
> not intended to be eaten.  That way the cook could make any shape
> he wanted, such as a fish or a lobster.  Robert May, although post
> period (1685), has a number of pie designs throughout his cookbook
> that would have to be made free-hand.

I asked the Hampton Court guys about the pies they make, and was told
that their pie maker cranks out small, standing pies with edible
crusts that are about 1/4 inch thick.  They've even got a video on
their blog of him making a small one.

http://tudorcook.blogspot.com/2007/12/get-back-in-that-kitchen.html

There is clear evidence that the crusts in period were sometimes
intended to be eaten, that they were not always thick, and that they
were sometimes made with fine flour instead of rye.  I've collected a
number of recipes and pictures on the subject, and have them online
at the URL below.

http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/piecrust.shtm

- Doc

--