[Sca-cooks] Coffyn pan?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 17 12:54:48 PST 2008

"Twelve voyders, a custard coffin."  (1580, as quoted in Wadley, Bristol
Wills, 1886).

Shakespere, The Taming of the Shrew iv iii 82 (1596)  "PETRUCHIO:  Why, thou
say'st true; it is a paltry cap, A custard-coffin, a bauble, a silken pie:
I love thee well, in that thou likest it not."

"Coffins of whyte plate."  (1602, Plat, Delightes for Ladies).

To be fair, Shakespere refers to hand raised coffins in Titus Adronicus
(1588), so both definitions were used in Elizabethean England.

Bear

Can you give some examples of the late 16th century usage?

Nancy Kiel