[Sca-cooks] Coffyn pan?

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 17 17:02:59 PST 2008

>>>What eternal question about bread bowls? Around here in my local
>>>group
>>>many people tend to think they're just a little bit silly...
>>>

>>I've never seen them done here.  Come to think of it, I don't think
>>I've
>>even seen them done mundanely around here.
>>

>Well, if you do a Google search for "in a bread bowl", you get almost
>40,000 hits. Somebody's certainly eating them, or at least serving them.

Oh, I realise they're popular in other places-- and I've read several
feast menus that featured them.   They're just not so widespread as to
be the basis of an "eternal question"  :-)

>I can see how people might like something like that under the right
>circumstances. For myself, I'd be torn between thinking, if you eat
>it, it's probably a bit too much bread, and if you don't, it's a waste.
>

>Some people also just aren't fans of moistened bread, even though it's
>the basis for a lot of great dishes.

I can't say that I find the idea very appealing, myself.  I don't mind a
little carefully moistened bread, but not saturated or soggy.  And I
like to eat my bread with my other food-- not after I've finished it.

So far as Med/Red cooking goes, a few people do seem very keen to
establish the plausibility of bread bowls, but I haven't seen any real
evidence.  I agree that they're kind of silly.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?