[Sca-cooks] Elizabeth Crocker

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 20 04:24:28 PST 2008

hmn ... interesting thread that has made it's way along the path.  I was taught to prepare meals as soon as I was tall enough to reach the knobs.  By the time I was nine years old I had most of the housekeeping responsibilities and by the time I was twelve years old, I was responsible for the cooking responsibilities as well.  My stepfather would not eat store-bought anything so baking was a huge part of those responsibilities.  Each Saturday after Confirmation Class (long story, very sad), I baked 12 loaves of bread ... that would usually last a week.  Cookies, cakes, pies were made on an as-needed basis through the week.  I never had to wonder what I was doing when I got home from school.  I knew I would be keeping mothers house.  By the time I left home at age eighteen, I was pretty much trained in all aspects of keeping a house.  Yes, I was required to take Home Economics in Junior High School.  No I didn't learn much from the class other than I loathed, detested and abhorred the home economics instructor, and the feeling was mutual.  Yes, she frequently used the phrase 'Susie Homemaker' much as most sailors would use a swear word.

Eventually I became a wife and a mother.  Housekeeping became homemaking.  The making of a home from a house.  I never found anything nasty about it.  I suppose I must then wonder what it is that makes many food preparation professionals so disdainful of the people who redact house keeping into home making.  If the food preparation professionals on this list could explain this phenomenon to me I would really appreciate knowing.  No, this is not a wise-arse snerty rant ... I really do want to know.  Why is it that instructors in cooking schools distain "how Betty Crocker does it"?

wondering

Malkin
Otherhill
Artemisia

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

Never knock on Death's door.
Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.