[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP, non-dairy double chocolate muffin recipe?

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 29 07:31:48 PST 2008

>Is it just cow's milk that Mina is having problems with (since she's nursing)? Could you use a regular choc/choc chip muffin recipe and substitute a rice milk or almond milk? or even another animal-sourced milk if those are okay?  Dunno what you'd need to do if eggs are an issue, as well.  You might be able to find some good recipes in a vegan cookbook, although you'd have to watch for soy.  I'd think the chocolate would be the easiest part--just use semisweet chips and a good quality baking chocolate (or maybe a combination of melted baking chocolate and, oh, say, dutch processed cocoa?)
>--Maire

It's soy and cow's milk dairy, she's fine with her mom eating eggs and wheat. Some folks have suggested using chocolate that's Pareve, because it will not contain dairy and soy lecithin (most commercial chocolate contains soy lecithin). Cocoa powder does not, though, and that's good; I can probably use canola oil to melt the sugar and the powder into, instead of butter, and Pareve chocolate chips will fill the bill for the rest of the chocolate.

I was thinking that coconut milk would add an interesting flavor, too; make the muffins like a dark chocolate Mounds bar. :-) Or use rice milk.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! I am baking tonight, and I'll let you know how they turn out!

Gianotta