[Sca-cooks] Coffyn pan?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 15 12:38:47 PST 2008

The term coffyn has it's origins in a Greek word meaning "basket" was
transferred into Latin then came into English via Old French, where it meant
"little basket," "case," etc.  Thus the shape may be immaterial to the
definition as the coffin was created to meet the needs of the contents.  The
idea in the SCA that the coffyn should be rectangular may be an artifact of
the modern usage of the word, a box to hold a body.  This usage first occurs
in English around 1525 (although the same usage in French dates from around
1330).

In the sense that coffyn is used on this list, it is: (1) a shaped mold of
dough to hold a pie, (2) a pie crust, and (3) a dish to hold a pie.

I haven't seen much about the size and shape of hand raised coffyns, but for
pies shaped in a pan I suspect that many of the baking dishes were
terracotta or ceramic and that circular baking dishes are easier to produce
than square or rectangular ones.

Bear

But, Gunthar, weren't Medieval coffyns round?  I sort of got that impression
from most of the existing illustrations, but I may be wrong <sigh>.  The
Charlotte Mold might be a better choice.  But, why not some of the round
spring molds?  They are fairly tall (at least 4" tall), and would probably
release fairly easily.

Because of the really cool bread baking pan that was linked
(which I will definately be purchasing) I've been browsing
the Williams-Sonoma catalogue. I saw this and, although
meant to be a Pate' en Croute pan I was thinking this might
be good for making coffyns. I'd love to make period coffyns
but can't find a pan with the correct sides. I know some people
have built up coffyn pans with paper but I'd like a full metal
mold someday. This might fit the bill for some types.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku7708/index.cfm?pkey=cBKWSPTI

Gunthar