[Sca-cooks] chocolate covered baby frogs

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 19 20:56:22 PST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008, at 11:00 PM, S CLEMENGER wrote:

> I can get chili/chipotle chocolate almonds at a local store.  The
> chili provides a surprisingly minor note, but it's nice.
> I would imagine that the crunchy-ness of the Imported Iraqi Baby
> Frogs would depend on the method in which they were processed before
> the chocolate enrobing.  Right now, I'm visualizing Sandra's
> confection as a chocolate-covered, amphibious version of balut
> <shudder>.

I believe Sandra's confection may in fact be derived from a local
Cambridge Circus speciality -- regional cuisine at its finest.

On the other hand, the only actual Iraqi frog presentation I can
recall is a recipe in Calvin W. Schwabe's "Unmentionable Cuisine",
which is for frog's legs marinated in olive oil with lots of crushed
garlic and some pepper, then grilled over an olive-wood fire, basted
with the marinade, then lemon and, I think, parsley added.

I confess it sounds a lot better to me.

The shame of it, my son's pet frogs are such nice, inoffensive kids as
a rule, and excellent judges of character, too. Guaranteed to jump
onto the face of an evildoer and cling like an alien face-hugger with
their damp, cold-blooded butts on the malefactor's nose. If they
happen to have any icy-cold bodily fluids to spare, it's traditional
for them to emerge at around this time. One of them, in particular,
has a habit of using the lower lip of his screaming victim as a step-
stool, getting his toes in the victim's mouth.

When you get your @$$ kicked by a three-inch frog, it stays kicked.

Unfortunately, they're also rather toxic, so we couldn't eat them even
if we wanted to. But we'd never do that; who'd make loud croaking
noises at 3:30 AM on summer nights, waking and annoy our upstairs
neighbors, if we didn't have them?

Adamantius