[Sca-cooks] Basting spit roasted meat

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Jan 31 12:50:59 PST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 3:33 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Isn't an ox a castrated adult male, a bullock any castrated male
> bovine, and a steer castrated before reaching sexual maturity?
>
> Adamantius

Actually, more properly, an ox is an educated bovine ;-) Can be male
or female, but a male is usually castrated, since it usually makes him
easier to handle. A bullock can be castrated or not- if not, he's a
young bull, under 4 years. After that, he's a bull. A steer is usually
as you defined, but can also be an ox less than 4 years old.

Oxen are simply cattle trained (usually from an early age) as beasts
of burden. If, however, you reder to eating an ox, that would imply at
the end of its working life- thus tougher (and more intensely
flavorful).

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up