[Sca-cooks] Basting spit roasted meat

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:02:18 PST 2008

> You may be speaking of Scully's edition of Taillevent. I think he > says, more or less, that the dryer, hotter meats (humorally speaking > -- these can be identified in sources like Tacuinum Sanitatis, for > one), are generally parboiled to offset the heat and dryness, then > larded before roasting.
> Adamantius
Thanks for the heads up on another source. I'll look further into
that. What I have found in many cases is the meat is boiled as you
say and then cut into slices. From there the slices are grilled like
steaks or stewed in a sauce or cut up. But I've found very little in
reference to the big roast turning on a spit. Perhaps that is a later
period method although Digby doesn't mention anything like that.

I've seen the paper wrapped version but I'll have to go back to the
site. This search for drippings has turned into a quest now.

Gunthar