[Sca-cooks] OP: toaster-ovens

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Tue Jul 1 13:23:10 PDT 2008

Speaking of cooking gear, I've been trying to research counter-top
"toaster-ovens," and everyplace I look has a different idea of what the
best buy is.  I've tried cooking.com (Cuisinart TOB-175BC or Krups FBC412),
Consumer Research (I don't think they've done a comparison since 2004),
consumersearch.com (seems also to like Krups), even Eric Ripert (who has a
whole website dedicated to cooking with a Cuisinart BRK-200).  While a
stone-lined convection oven on my counter is tempting, I could probably do
without the stone most of the time (I have quarry tiles I could put in for
bread/pizza).  What I'm looking for is something large enough for roasting
a chicken, doing a few baked potatoes or a loaf of bread.  Much bigger than
that and it won't fit.  I just can't face the thought of heating up a
full-sized oven for a half-dozen rolls or 9" pan of cornbread, especially
in the summer.  I don't care if they make great toast; I've already got a
toaster.  It's the oven capability I'm really interested in.  Any
recommendations?

Sandra