[Sca-cooks] English Food

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 3 08:02:03 PDT 2008

Ilsebet wrote:

>Another favorite of mine (and I'm forced to be a spoon tease here) is a
>swiss chard pie/quiche. I've had it at several events, and can NEVER
>remember the name. I remember it has a double crust, and if you whip the
>filling a little much, it gets to be a light green fluffy filling. Might be
>a good vegetarian option). I'm pretty sure it's English, but not 100% (since
>I can't remember the name).

My version of the Green Pye:

Take an unbaked pie crust of your choice.  Put it on a cookie sheet because it will inevitably spill, burn and meld to the bottom of your oven.  Place therein, in this order:

Julienned fresh herbs of your choice  - I like sage

One medium onion, chopped fine and sauteed.  [Maybe not sauteed if you are using one of those Vidalias we have discussed recently.]  This is where the Garlic should go also if you are using that.

1 layer of grated cheese of your choice.

"Spring Greens" or "Mesclun Mix" available pre-washed and bagged these days. [Actually, spinach or any leafy greens will work.]  1 average handfull if you have big hands, 2 big handfulls if you have little paws like mine.  Yes, this will poke out over the top and look like a big salad, that's all right, it shrinks as it cooks.

1 layer of grated cheese of your choice.

Pour over with a mixture of 3 eggs to 2 cups of milk.  If it does not reach the lip of the pie crust, mix up some more.  Make Pain Perdu with the excess egg-milk, you deserve a treat.

Bake at 350 degrees F for One Hour or until well browned on top.  Use the skewer test to determine doneness.

I have tried this in a convection oven and found that it browned nicely on the outside LONG BEFORE it was done inside, so I cannot recommend using a convection oven for this kind of cooking.

Selene