[Sca-cooks] Picnic foods...

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Jul 8 09:49:14 PDT 2008

>Greetings, cousins.  I'll be day-tripping to a
>local event in a few weeks, and I'd like to
>provide a picnic lunch for (probably) 4 of us to
>enjoy that day.  I haven't had a chance, yet, to
>check the flori-thingy, but I thought I'd also
>fling the idea out to the lot of you, and see
>what you'd serve for a picnic, since it'd make
>an interesting discussion if nothing else.  4
>people.  No refrigeration, and preferably no
>heating/reheating.  Period food.  No allergies
>or major food issues that I'm aware of.
>--Maire

One of my standards is Barmakiya:

(from the Miscellany)

Recipe for the Barmakiyya
Andalusian p. A-9 (Good)

It is made with hens, pigeons, ring doves, small
birds, or lamb. Take what you have of it, then
clean it and cut it and put it in a pot with salt
and onion, pepper, coriander and lavender or
cinnamon, some murri naqi, and oil. Put it over a
gentle fire until it is nearly done and the sauce
is dried. Take it out and fry it with mild oil
without overdoing it, and leave it aside. Then
take fine flour and semolina, make a well-made
dough with yeast, and if it has some oil it will
be more flavorful. Then stretch this out into a
thin loaf and inside this put the fried and
cooked meat of these birds, cover it with another
thin loaf, press the ends together and place it
in the oven, and when the bread is done, take it
out. It is very good for journeying; make it with
fish and that can be used for journeying too.

Note: The Barmecides were a family of Persian
viziers who served some of the early Abbasid
Caliphs, in particular Haroun al-Rashid, and were
famed for their generosity.

1/2 c sourdough	3 T olive oil for dough	1 1/2 t (lavender or) cinnamon
3/4 c water	1 lb boned chicken or lamb	1 t salt
1 1/2 c white flour	10 oz chopped onion	1 T murri (see p. 5-6)
1 1/2 c semolina	1/2 t pepper	3 T olive oil
(1 t salt in dough)	1 t coriander	3 T more olive oil for frying

Cut the meat fairly fine (approximately 1/4"
slices, then cut them up), combine in a 3 quart
pot with chopped onion, 1 t salt, spices, murri,
and 3 T oil. Cook over a medium low to medium
heat about an hour. Cover it at the beginning so
it all gets hot, at which point the onion and
meat release their juices; remove the cover and
cook until the liquid is gone, about 30 minutes.
Then heat 3 T oil in a large frying pan on a
medium high burner, add the contents of the pot,
fry over medium high heat about five minutes.

Stir together flour, semolina, 1 t salt.
Gradually stir in 3 T oil. Combine 3/4 c water,
1/2 c sourdough. Stir this into the flour mixture
and knead to a smooth dough (which should only
take a few minutes). If you do not have
sourdough, omit it; since the recipes does not
give the dough much time to rise, the sourdough
probably does not have a large effect on the
consistency of the dough.

Divide the dough in four equal parts. Take two
parts, turn them out on a floured board, squeeze
and stretch each (or use a rolling pin) until it
is at least 12" by 5". Put half the filling on
one, put the other on top, squeeze the edges
together to seal. Repeat with the other two parts
of the dough and the rest of the filling. Bake on
a cookie sheet at 350° for 40 minutes.

For the fish version, start with 1 1/4 lb of fish
(we used salmon). If it is boneless, proceed as
above, shortening the cooking time to about 35
minutes; it is not necessary to cut up the fish
fine, since it will crumble easily once it is
cooked. If your fish has bones, put it on top of
the oil, onions, spices etc., in the largest
pieces that will fit in the pot, cover the pot,
and cook for about 10-15 minutes, until the fish
is almost ready to fall apart; in effect, it is
being steamed by the liquid produced from the
onions and by its own liquid. Take out the fish,
bone it, return to the pot, and cook uncovered
about 30 minutes until the liquid is mostly gone.
Continue as above.

Gingerbrede is also good, easy to make, keeps.

Gingerbrede
Curye on Inglysch p. 154 (Goud Kokery no. 18) (GOOD)

To make gingerbrede. Take goode honey & clarifie
it on þe fere, & take fayre paynemayn or wastel
brede & grate it, & caste it into þe boylenge
hony, & stere it well togyder faste with a sklyse
þat it bren not to þe vessell. & þanne take it
doun and put þerin ginger, longe pepper &
saundres, & tempere it vp with þin handes; & than
put hem to a flatt boyste & strawe þeron suger, &
pick þerin clowes rounde aboute by þe egge and in
þe mydes, yf it plece you, &c.

1 c honey	1/4 t long pepper	30-40 whole cloves (~ 1 t)
1 3/4  c breadcrumbs	1/4 t saunders	(or 5 t sugar, pinch powdered cloves)
1 t ginger	1 T sugar

Bring honey to a boil, simmer two or three
minute, stir in breadcrumbs with a spatula until
uniformly mixed. Remove from heat, stir in
ginger, pepper, and saunders. (If you can't get
long pepper, substitute ordinary black pepper.)
When it is cool enough to handle, knead it to get
spices thoroughly mixed. Put it in a box, cookie
tin, or the like, squish it flat and thin,
sprinkle with sugar and put cloves ornamentally
around the edge. Leave it to let the clove flavor
sink in; do not eat the cloves.

An alternative way of doing it is to roll into
small balls, roll in sugar mixed with a pinch of
cloves, then flatten them a little to avoid
confusion with hais. This is suitable if you are
making them today and eating them tomorrow.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com