[Sca-cooks] Picnic foods...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 8 13:34:38 PDT 2008

Maire asked for some picnic food suggestions:
<<< I'll be day-tripping to a local event in a few weeks, and I'd
like to provide a picnic lunch for (probably) 4 of us to enjoy that
day.  I haven't had a chance, yet, to check the flori-thingy, but I
thought I'd also fling the idea out to the lot of you, and see what
you'd serve for a picnic, since it'd make an interesting discussion
if nothing else.  4 people.  No refrigeration, and preferably no
heating/reheating.  Period food.  No allergies or major food issues
that I'm aware of. >>>

When you get a chance to check the Florilegium, I would look at these
two files in the FEASTS section. The first is an interesting one that
I've just added that Adamantius originally posted some time back.

Picnic-Basket-art (26K)  5/21/08    "A Pilgrim's Picnic Basket" by
Master
                                        Gideanus Adamantius, O.L.
picnic-feasts-msg (12K)  7/ 6/01    Ideas for light, picnic style
feasts.

This one in the FOOD section might also have some good ideas in it:
campfood-msg      (84K)  3/ 3/99    Non-refrig., period food for
camping events.

Deviled eggs these days often seem to show up at picnics, but I think
they are supposed to be kept cold because of the mayonnaise often
used in them. Perhaps the period version of these doesn't require
refrigeration?
eggs-stuffed-msg  (40K)  1/20/08    Period stuffed eggs dishes. Recipes.

How about pickled meat? or other pickled foods?
Lrds-Salt-Exp-art (15K)  9/11/00    "Lord's Salt Experiment" by Lady
Hauviette
                                        d'Anjou.
pickled-foods-msg (138K) 4/ 1/08    Medieval pickled food. recipes.

Here is another article concentrating on picnic-type foods:
Tourny-Basket-art (20K) 11/24/01    "Filling the Tourney Basket"
                                        by Lady Caointiarn.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas