[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian & Vegans was Re: lethal drinks

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 22 13:11:30 PDT 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:

>> My problem isn't so much with providing for vegetarians, it's in
>> dealing
>> with the sense of entitlement some of them have displayed in some
>> rather
>> rude and unwelcome ways. I perhaps should have made that clear in my
>> original statement.
>
> My mother always said: "When food becomes a religion....". And many
> religious people I know, and even many people with health
> restrictions, are far more flexible than most of the
> vegetarians/vegans I know. I *do* know flexible vegetarians too...
> Let's try to avoid gross generalizations :-)

Around here the vegetarians (of whom there are some, possibly more
than in some places, but perhaps not as many as in, say, Northern
California) find out in advance who's cooking, and either ask in
advance what, if any, arrangements are being made for non-meat-eaters,
and, failing that, are happy to eat what there is to eat (I tend to do
modular foods, with vegetable dishes made of vegetables and meat
dishes made of meat), and if I serve something specifically tailored
for them, they're extremely appreciative, and always very polite.

Of course, I also go out and threaten to withhold sweet courses if
people don't eat their vegetables, so these people know not to mess
with me.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter