[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian & Vegans was Re: lethal drinks

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jul 22 13:17:07 PDT 2008

--On Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:11 PM -0400 "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus
Adamantius" <adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Around here the vegetarians (of whom there are some, possibly more than
> in some places, but perhaps not as many as in, say, Northern California)
> find out in advance who's cooking, and either ask in advance what, if
> any, arrangements are being made for non-meat-eaters, and, failing that,
> are happy to eat what there is to eat (I tend to do modular foods, with
> vegetable dishes made of vegetables and meat dishes made of meat), and if
> I serve something specifically tailored for them, they're extremely
> appreciative, and always very polite.
>
> Of course, I also go out and threaten to withhold sweet courses if people
> don't eat their vegetables, so these people know not to mess with me.

I don't have a problem with vegetarian or vegan per se, but I do have a
problem that those who apply these terms to themselves seem to have such a
Humpty-Dumpty approach to what they mean.

If I've gone to a lot of trouble to provide ovo-lacto or vegan dishes along
with a meat dish (in particular of things that I would normally put meat
in, or that I made both with a without meat so that my vegetarians would be
able to eat it), and my self-proclaimed vegetarian is digging into the
meat, then yup, I'm annoyed.  But this is really a communications issue.
I'd rather know "I don't eat beef and pork, but everything else is fine"
than have the "I'm a vegetarian" declaration.  At least that way I know
where I am. But if a Doll is saying "I'm a vegetarian" and ordering steak,
where am I?

toodles, margaret