[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian & Vegans was Re: lethal drinks

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Tue Jul 22 21:11:10 PDT 2008

My response to that kind of spoiled demand would have been simple, profane,
anatomically challenging, and unsuitable for publication in most venues.
Besides which, she wouldn't have gotten either dish from me, because
beans-and-rice (in the format I'm assuming she referred to) aren't period,
and I don't know that some sort of special squash ravioli is, either.  At my
most polite, I would have referred her to the frozen food section of the
local market, and recommended an "Amy's" frozen dinner or something....
I've never had to (personally) deal with any ultra-fussy vegetarians or
vegans.  We have a few people who do the faux-allergy thing ("allergic" to
pork or something when it's a sensitivity at best and an annoying pickiness
at worst), but we (local cooks) are aware of them and work around it
whenever possible.  It's annoying, for sure, but not worth the argument when
the "allergic one" in an old lady in her 90s... or a baron who hates even
the smell of fish.  Most local food issues for folks are with new world
foods anyways, so it's easy enough to avoid.
--Maire