[Sca-cooks] English word for Chinese vegetable/herb

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Jul 23 12:17:51 PDT 2008

You might check out your local library and see if they have Bruce Cost's
Asian Ingredients or possibly The Asian Grocery Store Demystified by 
I've not seen this new 2008 book titled:
Oriental Vegetables: The Complete Guide for the Gardening Cook
nor have I seen something called
Cook's Guide To Asian Vegetables from 2004.
There are several others including one from 2001 called just
Asian Herbs and Vegetables.

Are you going by a description or have you used it or come across it in 

> On Jul 23, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Sharon Gordon wrote:
>> I am looking for the English word for a Chinese vegetable or herb.  
>> It's low
>> growing with small leaves.  It's usually eaten in the spring.  A stem 
>> of it
>> is similar in size to a stem of one of the smaller leafed basils such as
>> lemon basil, but the stem is more slender and more round.  Stem and 
>> leaves
>> are a dark green.
>> In Mandarin the name of the plant sounds sort of like
>> My-ah-lie or My-yuh-lie
>> Any ideas for the English or Latin name?
> Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
> This isn't ringing a bell for me...
> Maybe it's among the plants listed here?:
> http://homepage.eircom.net/~progers/herbchin.htm
> Is it a flavoring herb, or eaten as a vegetable? Can you compare it to 
> another herb/vegetable?
> Adamantius 

More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list