[Sca-cooks] English word for Chinese vegetable/herb

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 23 07:51:28 PDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Sharon Gordon wrote:

> I am looking for the English word for a Chinese vegetable or herb.   
> It's low
> growing with small leaves.  It's usually eaten in the spring.  A  
> stem of it
> is similar in size to a stem of one of the smaller leafed basils  
> such as
> lemon basil, but the stem is more slender and more round.  Stem and  
> leaves
> are a dark green.
> In Mandarin the name of the plant sounds sort of like
> My-ah-lie or My-yuh-lie
> Any ideas for the English or Latin name?

This isn't ringing a bell for me...

Maybe it's among the plants listed here?:


Is it a flavoring herb, or eaten as a vegetable? Can you compare it to  
another herb/vegetable?


"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls,  
when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's  
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter

More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list