[Sca-cooks] South Beach

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Wed Jul 23 19:38:24 PDT 2008

Lady Celia said:
> Ummm... then you're not actually doing "Phase 1" and you aren't actually
> detoxing, so you're not going to get anywhere.

That's why I said we were only doing South Beach - sort of - and not being
really hard core about it.

b) you'll be more used
> to using fruit as an accompaniment, rather than by itself, so that there are
> other foods eaten at the same time which will slow down the glucose
> spike/insulin spike dynamic.

I typically have eaten fruit as an accompaniment to other foods.  An apple
with a grilled cheese sandwich, for example.  Or a banana with toast with
peanut butter on it.

> The fabulous way that you feel *after* you get through induction
> successfully is why some of us who are insulin intolerant and who have a lot
> of weight to lose actually stay on "induction" (or "in Phase 1") for much
> longer... because we no longer have the highs and lows of constant
> sugar/insulin spikes. And once these highs and lows stop, that's when you
> start having *energy* and start feeling like exercising as well.

I already do 45 minutes on the elliptical 3 times a week, the alternate days
I do a routine of light weight/resistance training, and walk outside as much
as possible all days.

> (That's when you stop feeling tired  an hour or so
> after a meal, and start having energy consistently throughout the day, and
> stop craving things...)

None of these things apply to me now.  These things did not apply to me last
week, before we started this process.

> Something which can be helpful to get you past that cranky and whiny part is
> finding the things that you *love* that are appropriate during induction and
> giving yourself "treats".

LOL  Forgive me, but I can safely say there is nothing on the approved list
for Phase 1 that I *love* enough to consider an indulgence.  I am getting by
on almonds because I like them and they take time to chew, so they make me
feel like I'm eating something.

*ice cream*
> (that's a little harder - there are a few low carb/sugar free ones that are
> available commercially, but my Mom bought me one of those small freezer bowl
> ice cream makers and a book on making ice cream and I learned to make my own
> sugar free ice cream with splenda and cream which I enjoy more), etc.

Actually, I have just found some recipes for ice cream that uses nonfat
sweetened condensed milk that sound really good.  But that's a project for
after War...

And
> going out for surf and turf

I don't do shellfish.

or having a crustless quiche lorraine for

Eggs = gak.

I'm glad you feel a carb control lifestyle works for you and you're finding
enjoyment in it, but it's being a struggle for me.

 -Helena