[Sca-cooks] English Food

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 07:12:09 PDT 2008

Ciao!

I am getting started in planning my next "feast" and it is going to be
an English one. I have put the term "feast" in the scary quotes
because it really isn't a feast. It is being billed as a "Tavern Meal"
so that we can keep the cost at $6 a head. My intent is to serve 2
meats, a couple of sides, a starch and a sweet all in one big course -
Tavern Style.

Because I am serving such a small number of dishes I need to make sure
that each and every dish has a very broad range of appeal and is super
duper tasty. This really isn't the environment for me to "challenge"
people with tastes and textures. It is a Fighting event and my goal is
for everything to be period, tasty and filling.

What I am hoping to start a discussion on here is y'alls' most
favorite English dishes. I am not too concerned with specific time
period, just that I keep it English. Have you prepared, tested, served
a super duper yummy English dish that everyone raved about? That
everyone wanted seconds of? That only the pickiest of picky eaters
turned their noses up at? Then I would love to hear from you.

If you have something then the period recipe would be great - seeing
how you interpreted it would be even better! So no spoon teases. And
if you only ate something at a feast that you knew was English and you
can give a general description - hopefully I (or someone else here)
can run it down.

Thank you!

--
Serena da Riva
(yes this is my second "feast" of this year, when it rains - it pours!)