[Sca-cooks] Fried onions and such

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 17:03:47 PDT 2008

On 7/5/08, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> <<< PARA HAZER CEBOLLAS ENTERAS EN CAZUELA EN DIA DE QUARESMA
> To Make Whole Onions in Casserole on a Lenten Day
> Source: _Libro del Arte de Cozina_, 1599
> Translation: Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)
[snip]
> and being cooked serve them with
> oil and cinnamon on top.  You can also cover with garlic sauce and
> green sauce. >>>
>
> Is this referring to two sauces, a green sauce and a separate garlic
> sauce? Or a garlic and green sauce? Brighid, is this your translation?

This is a recipe that I translated.  It is not from de Nola.  It is
from Diego Granado (Spanish, 1599), and may well be one of the
hundreds of recipes he pinched from Scappi.  In any case, it is very
late period Mediterranean.  I should have included the author in the
citation (bad librarian!  No bizcocho!), since the title -- like so
many others of the era -- simply means "book of cooking".

The wording would indicate two separate sauces.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
My NEW email is rcarrollmann at gmail.com