[Sca-cooks] Lemons? Limes? Confusion?

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 5 16:18:46 PDT 2008

I don't own a book on the history of citrus, which i understand can
be difficult to study because of the ease with which all citrus
plants hybridize/cross-breed with others, since they both self- and
cross-pollinate, and they develop spontaneous mutations (e.g. the
navel orange).

So i was mystified when some historical sources mentioned that limes
were taken to the Caribbean by the Spanish in the early 1500s.
Mystified because i don't recall coming across any recipes for limes
in my reading of SCA-period European recipes, although there are
enough calling for lemons.

I wonder if this could be because the name for lemon and lime are
very similar, both in Arabic and in most European languages, so limes
may have been substitute in recipes calling for lemons.

Can anyone clarify this mystery and alleviate my confusion?

Does anyone know of any specific recipes calling for limes?
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing