[Sca-cooks] Camp stove

Maggie MacD. maggie at lost-soles.org
Tue Jul 1 22:01:41 PDT 2008

I have a "groovy little camp stove", though it needs some tweaking in the
design.

About 2-3 years ago when my dad was throwing away lots of stuff, he
disassembled an entire truck camper a piece at a time in order to put it
into trashcans. I acquired the cookstove and oven that was in it, and
brought them home.  From there a former minion of mine assembled me a
rollabout cooking center using 3/4" plywood.  The oven is insulated from
the wood with the same fiberglass stuff they put in water heater blankets,
and the 4 burners work just fine.  We're still debating whether to use the
small regulator from the propane heater, or whether to upgrade to the
turkey fryer regulator (and just keep it turned down real low).  With the
higher power regulator you can hear the burners blow themselves out from 20
feet away.  The cabinet is also kinda REAAALLLY heavy, so it isnt something
that I load/unload by myself (so its been left home for more than half the
wars over the last couple of years).

If I could get this bugger tucked into a smaller metal cabinet, kinda like
the one on bargainoutfitters, that might be even more practical.
And the lid they have on the bargain outfitters one also makes me
envious.  The top off my regular campstoves doesn't fit though, not even close.

So, in the interest of "recycle whats around", maybe you can find an old
scrapped stove/cooking unit somewhere, and work that into something
fun?  (though I admit, that ready made unit is extremely tempting).

Cheers,
Maggie