[Sca-cooks] SCA 50th Anniversary Challenge

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Sun Jul 20 17:40:08 PDT 2008

The recipes I have tried so far are challenging because in some
cases, I am trying something I have never done before.  The 2 syrups
and 1 wine recipe I tried last weekend were a first for me.  For
Trial By Fire I am again using recipes that are new to me.

HL Sindara

At 07:22 PM 7/20/2008, you wrote:
 >Well, it doesn't necessarily hafta be 50 things simultaneously ;-) I
 >accepted the challenge last fall, and in my case, I'm going to teach
 >50 students smithing. Carowyn made me a scroll out of copper, that
 >I'll be having my students sign. Anybody wants a smithing lesson,
 >please come to my forge in SPCA camp, in W10 ;-) But, if I tried to
 >teach 50 students at the same time, there's be no room around the
 >forge, and I wouldn't be able to do a decent job.
 >
 >But, for those who want a cooking challenge, how about redacting 50
 >recipes? Or, making 50 recipes you've never tried before? Or, for some
 >of us, making 50 variations on a common recipe- 50 soups, or 50
 >variations on something like blancmange, or 50 Arabic recipes. The
 >thing about something like this, is you need to challenge yourself.
 >What can you find to do, that will make you better at what you do?
 >
 >On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Kingstaste <kingstaste at comcast.net> wrote:
 >> Wow, you guys seem to have started on the Pennsic Season Weird
Topics Thread
 >> way early this year, can Twinkies be far behind?
 >>

 >> Ahem.
 >>

 >> I just returned from our Royal University of Meridies event, which was very
 >> nice.  Held on a small college campus in Pulaski, TN, all of our classes
 >> were held in the comfort of a/c, which was a blessing.  At the Pel meeting,
 >> Mistress Solvieg brought flyers for the 50th Anniversary A&S Challenge.
 >> There is a call out for people to start working on something that
represents
 >> 50, has 50 pieces, is done 50 times, etc.  One example was a lady making 50
 >> small knitting samples to show various medieval techniques, or a household
 >> making 50 pieces of Kingdom Regalia.  Another idea put forth was cooking 50
 >> medieval recipes.  His Majesty Caspar of Merieides looked at me and said
 >> "Christianna could make 50 things to eat!".  A while later as I passed His
 >> Majesty on the way out the door, he said "so remember, 50 things for Me to
 >> eat!".  So it seems I have been given a personal challenge.  Our Meridian
 >> 30th Year Celebration is scheduled to coincide with our Fall Coronation
 >> event, so I thought it would be nice if I could make a trial run
at whatever
 >> I am going to do and present it to His Maj as they step down.
 >>
 >> So now my quandary is, 50 of what?  50 bites of any food is a lot, so
 >> whatever it is has to be able to keep (presuming not all of it would be
 >> consumed at one go).  Candies or tarts or something finger-food sized comes
 >> to mind, perhaps 50 pieces of the same item would be ok, although
I like the
 >> idea of 50 different somethings.  I have thought about candied confits, but
 >> don't honestly think I can come up with 50 different
spices/flavorings (like
 >> orange peels) to candy.  Sauces - hard to hold.  I could carve
His Majesty's