[Sca-cooks] Pulled Sugar Penydes was SCA 50th Anniversary Challenge

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 22 18:58:52 PDT 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 8:53 PM, Georgia Foster wrote:

> Here is the source I am comparing
>
> Taffy
>
> 2 cups sugar
> small piece butter
> 1/2 teacup vinegar
> 1/2 teacup water
>
> Boil until it will harden in water.  Poru into a butter tin.  When
> cool enough to pull add 1 teaspoonfull of lemon or any desired
> flavor.  The longer it is pulled the better it will be.
>
> attributed to Grandma Huston, Daniel, (WY)

from BL MS Harl. 2378:

"To make penydes. Tak a lb. suger (th) is noght clarefyed but euen
colde wth water wythowten (th) whyte of a egge for if it were
clarefyed wyth (the) white of a egg it would be clammy. And (th)an put
it in a panne and sette it on (th)e fyre and gar it boyle, and whan it
is sothen inow asay betwyx (th)i fyngers and (th)i thombe and if it
wax styfe and perte lightly fro (th)i fynger (th)an it is enow: but
loke (th)ou stere it but lityl wyth (th)i spatur in hys decoccioun,
for it will benyme hys drawyng. And whan it is so sothen loke (th)ou
haue redy a marbyll stone. Anoynte it wyth swetemete oyle as thyne as
it may be anoynted and (th)an pour (th)i suger (th)eron euen as it
comes fro (th)e fyre sethyng. Cast it on (th)e stone wythouten any
sterynge, and whan it is a litel colde medel hem togedyr wyth bothe
(y)oure handes and draw it on a hoke of eren til it be faire and
white. And (th)an haue redy a faire clothe on a borde, and cast on
(th)e clothe a litell floure of ryse, and (th)an throw owte (th)i
penydes in (th)e thyknes of a thombe with (th)i handes as longe as
(th)ei will reche, and (th)an kut (th)em wyth a pere scherys on (th)e
clothe, ilk a pese as mychell as a smale ynche, and (th)an put (th)em
in a cofyn and put (th)em in a warme place, and (th)an (th)e warmnesse
schall put away away (th)e towghnesse: but loke (y)e mak (th)em no(y)t
in no moyste weder nor in no reyne."

Rough translation for those as needs:

To make penydes. Take a pound of sugar that is not clarified, but just
cold with water, without the white of an egg, for if it were clarified
it would be clammy. And then put it in a pan and set it on the fire
and let it boil, and when it is boiled enough test it between your
fingers and thumb, and if it grows stiff and parts easily from your
fingers it is ready: but be careful not to stir it too much with your
spatula while boiling, for it will inhibit the pulling process. When
it is boiled enough have ready in advance a marble stone, coated as
thinly as possible with confectioner's oil [N.B. other recipes
generally call for almond oil here], and then pour your sugar onto it
as it comes from the fire boiling. Pour it on the stone without any
stirring, and when it has cooled slightly, mix it together with both
your hands and hang and pull it from an iron hook [on the wall???]
till it is fair and white. and then have ready a clean cloth on a
board, and cast on the cloth a little rice flour, and then throw out
your penydes in the thickness of your thumb with your hands as long as
they will reach, and then cut them with a pair of shears on the cloth,
in pieces an inch long, and then put them in a box and put them in a
warm place, and the warmth will reduce the toughness, but be sure not
to make them in damp or rainy weather.

I get the impression this is boiled to not-quite hard crack, so it can
easily be pulled fully before it starts to break. The end product
would then be less brittle, and more tough and sticky, than it would
otherwise be, but you then give it a chance to dry out (in a warm, dry
environment) after coating it with rice flour and forming the candies...

HTH,

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter