[Sca-cooks] South Beach (was Re: Rice)

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Wed Jul 23 21:14:07 PDT 2008

Ahh...see, with what I'm doing, no "induction" or "detox" phase, you just
dive right in.  I know how many calories I'm supposed to be eating to lose
about 2 lbs/week (this is based on things like weight, height, gender, and
base activity level, and does decrease as you lose weight, although you
never go below 1200 for a woman, or 1500 for a guy).  And I know my
macronutrient ratios (percentages of fat/carbs/protein).  The rest is up to
me--there are menus available, and lots of recipes, but it's quite flexible.
I really like it, although it does tend to drive non-foodies insane.  And
there's a big emphasis on eating fresh/local/organic.  If I want, I can plan
for, and eat, an ice cream bar, or some organic dark chocolate, or even a
shot of tequila.  Or good, natural peanut butter.  I've never been a fan of
that stuff, but I've developed a fondness for a snack comprising half a
large apple, sliced, with a couple of teaspoons of the p.b. to put on the
apple.  Nice combo of carbs/fat/protein to get me through the afternoon....
(I should add that there's a fair amount of exercise involved, as well.
Base minimum of 5 hours a week--4 days of mixed weight training/cardio
intervals, and 1 day with an extended cardio session.  All of it do-able at
home with a minimum of equipment.)
--Maire