[Sca-cooks] South Beach

Helen Schultz meisterin02 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 12:48:19 PDT 2008

I do hope you realize that vegetables are also carbs?  I was on a modified diabetic diet a year or so ago to help lower my triglycerides in my cholesterol (with the added plus of actually losing at least 10 pounds as well as lowering those pesky triglycerides), and let me tell you, there are carbs in vegetables, sometimes more than you think.  The dietician told me that cooked veggies are worse than raw ones, though... I could have only 1/2 cup of cooked veggies, but a full cup of raw ones.  I guess the cooking process brings out those carbs more.
I don't think I could do the 2 weeks without cereals (meaning wheat products), either, though... I had a hard enough time restricting myself to no more than 10 carb servings per day (each carb serving is about 15 gms of carb)... I like my cereals (which is one reason my tryglicerides are so high... that and all the sugar I seem to love <sigh>.
Maybe you could just have fruit for breakfast?  Not quite as satisfying as a cereal, but at least the carbs are not quite as high... just be sure to choose fruit that is low on the natural sugar content.  I don't know which those would be, but do know that bananas are high in natural sugar content, so stay away from them as best you can.

Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana) http://narrental.home.comcast.net
Middle Kingdom

The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark." -- Michaelangelo