[Sca-cooks] 101 Frightening Ice Cream Flavors From Around The World : Who Sucks

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 17 19:02:33 PDT 2008

Ok, i read the article. Yeah, the fish and meat "ice creams" sounds a
bit strange... but i don't know what all the ingredients are and i
don't know how they are eaten in their countries of origin (not
everything on that page was Japanese)

OK, while looking for a local ice creamery on the web, i discovered
that apparently some places in San Francisco are making salmon ice
cream to accompany heirloom tomato dishes. But, hey, the cream isn't
that far from cream cheese...

Back in the 1970s i bought purple yam (ube) ice cream, avocado ice
cream (it's a fruit, after all), and durian ice cream from a
Philippine-oriented ice cream company in LA (whose name i've
forgotten). Unfortunately their ice cream base was very strongly
vanilla, and the flavors of the purple yam, of the avocado, and of
the durian were weak, so i was disappointed. But i just discovered a
San Francisco ice creamery making avocado, among other flavors
including ube: purple yam):
http://www.mitchellsicecream.com/html/tropical_flavors.htm
I'll have to check them out!

I've had wine sorbets, so wine ice cream doesn't sound strange.

There's a US company, Vosges Haut-Chocolat, in the Chicago area, that
i talk about too much :-)
http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/exotic_ice_cream/exotic_ice_creams
making coconut-curry (containing turmeric, ginger, cumin, clove,
chillies and more) ice cream that's quite delicious (i've mentioned
it on this list), also Pandan leaf + dark chocolate ice cream;
Australian wattleseed + roasted macadamia nuts ice cream; and their
Red Fire Ice Cream: Mexican ancho & chipotle chillies + Ceylon
cinnamon + dark chocolate ice cream. And they make those chocolate
bars i often report on, with bacon or with wasabi...

I know a San Francisco ice cream company (that may be out of business
- or maybe it was Mitchell's) used to make tomato sherbet. And tomato
sherbet now features in gourmet dishes at some high priced
restaurants.

In a recent segment on a local TV show there was a visit to an ice
cream maker who makes, among other flavors, sweet corn ice cream.
Unfortunately, i can't find the reference to it and i didn't write
down the address :-(  Some Thai restaurants sell coconut-corn ice
cream - i think it's tasty. There are so many sweet corn dishes in
the US that sweet corn ice cream sounds perfectly fine to me.

I don't see what's so weird about rice in ice cream... i gather there
was (or may still be) a big fad for rice pudding somewhere on the
East Coast with shops that sell nothing but. And while it's not rice,
but rice milk, there's "Rice Dream" ice cream for vegans.

Garlic ice cream? Why, the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival just a bit
south of where i live is famous for, among other things, its garlic
ice cream. I don't know if they make chocolate-garlic, or mint-garlic
(two more flavors on that cranky website) but i wouldn't be surprised
if they did.

And while i haven't had stout ice cream, i did have stout in a milk
shake, called "Shakin' Jesse", made by a restaurant not far from me,
Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe: chocolate ice cream, espresso, and stout...

Cream Cheese Ice Cream... we already have cheese cake ice cream, and
that's made with cream cheese, so what's so strange about that?

Another local ice cream shop, Dreyers, made an excellent green tea
ice cream (haven't been to the shop in a few years). I have found
many green tea ice creams (often served in Japanese restaurants) are
much too light on the matcha - they just taste like vanilla with a
hint of matcha. But that local shop made a fairly robust green tea
ice cream - it was a favorite of both mine and my teen-aged daughter
(she's no teenager anymore - that was over 10 years ago)

And i used to buy carrot ice cream, back in the late 60s and early
70s, from the health food store. It was too groovy for me - it was
made with honey, which i find too dominant a flavor, and the carrot
was overwhelmed :-(

I haven't had bay leaf, but i have had rosemary-lemon sorbet. It was
quite delicious.

---

And he missed making fun of Olive Oil Ice Cream, which i had in a
fine restaurant in Cordoba, Andalucia, Spain in December of 2000.

And my "very most favoritest" ice cream, from a local gelateria,
Naia, is black sesame seed gelato. It's a lavender-grey color, made
not only with black sesame seeds, but also with a dash of roasted
sesame oil. I just wish a pint wasn't so expensive. Sigh.
http://gelaterianaia.com/

In conclusion, all i can say is, whoever put this page together needs
to get out more... And perhaps take a look at their own culture and
cultural assumptions...

Kinda reminds me of a knitting webpage i saw - the site owner had
pictures of all sorts of knit - and a few crocheted - garments,
complaining about how awful they were. While many were clearly not
meant for ordinary daily wear (some were couturier), quite a few
showed amazing imagination and i saved the pictures. Yeah, i couldn't
wear them, but that won't stop me from appreciating the creativity of
the designers.

And i'm not turning off my taste buds just because an ingredient is
unfamiliar or presented in a way unfamiliar to me.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

who would still probably skip the raw horse flesh flavored ice cream