[Sca-cooks] Silly season

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 29 05:41:41 PDT 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 7:52 AM, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>>

>> I don't remember if the real C.R. Milne committed suicide or if I'm
>> thinking of someone else, but it's been widely reported he pretty
>> much never forgave his father for turning him into a children's
>> fictional character. Apparently the ages of 10-12 are not happy
>> ones at an English boy's school when your classmates discover
>> you're Christopher Robin going hoppity-hoppity-hop.
>>
>> Adamantius
> He was embarrassed by the notoriety, but died of myasthenia gravis
> at the age of 76. Must be some other unhappy kid...

There were, and are, enough of them. Various reports claim that Milne
was not an especially nice man, but may have been far too typical a
parent for his era and social class.

George Orwell, I believe it was, suggested that the public school
system and the additional system of virtual fostering -- wherein
middle-class and upper-class children were so often raised not by
their parents but by servants, relatives and boarding schools --
turned out a high proportion of social mutants.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter